Tuesday, February 10, 2009

"360 Evaluations"

Don't know if anybody is still reading but I noticed last week not much traffic. Anyway you all here would appreciate this story the most.

Just finished our 6 month evalutions. Called 360, meaning you get evaluated from all sides. You know the nursing staff, PACU nurses, Cafeteria workers, cleaning staff, and your attendings. So I am reading through my reviews which I must say were all pretty good. My program director and I are laughing about a few things but no problems. I notice she is holding one last evaluation, she said she wanted to save the best for last. It is from a PACU nurse. Apparently I wronged her a few months ago, when I did not comments on her new pattern for her scub top, or forgot to tell her that her new "crocks" were the bomb. I have a sneaking suspicion that the comments relate to the fact that I do not just give her dilaudid at her request and occasionaly ask such silly things as what the urine output is, what the last hemoglobin was, what is the BP, how much dilaudid has the patient recieved?? You know silly, stupid things like that.

Anyway in her evaluation of me it stated that Dr. Glover is "arrogant" and "belitteling". Her spelling. My program director was laughing and asked if I had a response. I told her to tell the nurse she has'nt seen anything yet. And come June 30, 2011 she would be wise to not be in the PACU because I will proceed to open a can of arrogant, the likes of which she has not seen before.

So you Family Practice guys get to open that can a year earlier. Would you please yell at some old overinflated ego of nurse for me. You know kind of like a shout out to all of us still in the treches. If any others have had the sublime opportunity of 360 evaluations please share. Especially Dr. Caywood and Koth.

6 comments:

Jill and Jeremy said...

Arrogant? Come on G money. Nice post. Some nurses are just meant to be bitter. You only have 2 and ahalf years left.

Rhett and Dora said...

this is the first day in a long time i have checked the blog and i must admit, it put a smile on my face. i haven't had the pleasure of a 360 eval yet, but i'm sure some of the crazies would come out of the woodwork. hey glover...you would be happy to know that one of our chief anesthesia residents was just offered $410k to start...not bad ehe? (that is the rumor anyway) i am jealous that you will be making more $$ than me...my only consolation is to be able to say "table up!" and "she's bucking!" "is he fully relaxed?" and my personal favorite "what's her pressure?"

Glovers said...

find out where he is going? You will probably be talking to my nurse, but if not, I will be happy to oblige. About the pressure, lets not pretend that you surgeons actually know anything about that. As your patient hemorrages on the table that should be a sign that their BP is low and going south. No need to ask.

OMS 5 caywood said...

our 360 evaluations are only attendings evaluating us and us evaluating attendings. would love to evaluate some of the PACU and OR nurses, though since coming to the OR i've found the nurses a whole lot better than on the wards. i don't find myself getting after the nurses a lot except telling them to set up the room faster so we can get the case started and hovering over them and asking continually "can i bring the pt back" until they are ready. if the pt's pressure is low when the surgeons ask i usually either just make up a blood pressure or just tell them the last good one while i'm pumping in fluids to make up for their massive blood loss.

Stephanie said...

I hear you Caywood!! I am for sure going to hell after all the lies I tell the surgeon about how the patient is doing. Speaking of evaluations,my last evaluation mentioned that, and I qoute, "Many times I have observed Dr Taufer having inappropriate contact with his patients in the PACU. I have on a few occasion caught him touching his patients pelvic area for no good reason at all". It took a while of explaining, but I finally convinced my program director that it is a high tech D.O. manuver we osteopaths call shotgun pubs and sacral rocking!! Know I have our whole program doing it. Its great!!

Glover, what regional anesthesia resident conference does your program go to? Midwest? If so, are you going?

Glovers said...

Shane, what do you mean by regional anesthesia resident confrence. Like regional anesthesia or regional as in geographic area? Either way we can go to any confrence we want. I'm taking the famdamily to DC for the SOAP confrence. Time off plus money can't beat that.