Sunday, August 24, 2008

ED Thoracotomy #2 this week

So I'm driving in to round on Sunday morning, and I'm about two minutes from the hospital hen my pager lights up: "Code 1 GSW abdomen"

I get to the hospital, cruise down to the trauma bay, and the on call resident is opening the chest. I throw a gown on and help out. We get a weak, thready pulse back. Off to to OR.

On the way, we pass the family in the hallway. They are (understandably) going nuts. We get to the OR, can't identify any bleeding in the thoracic cavity, and decide to open the belly. Blood gushes out (despite our clamped aorta). We lose our pulse. Quickly mobilize the left colon/kidney/spleen, and find a huge aortic injury.

We try and resuscitate/repair, but to no avail. Patient expires.

When my attending tells the mom, she runs out of the hospital and has a seizure. Luckily, she is caught by another family member, or she would have been a trauma consult too, and thus on our service. I feel a little guilty that instead of feeling bad for her, I was happy that she was caught so that I wouldn't have to admit and round on her.

Sometimes, cleaning up the list seems to matter a little too much to me. I'm not sure what that means, but there it is. Anyways, we're 1 for 2 in lifesaving thoracotomies this week.

1 comment:

Adam Jensen said...

Okay, every time Damon leaves a post, I'm just in awe at what he does. I always think to myself, "That sounds awesome" or "That is what a real doctor does." Honestly that is some really cool stuff. Wish I could get a piece of that action, but it doesn't work that way. Not to say that I'm unhappy with my program -- I really like my program and am ultimately happy with my career choice, but sometimes you can't help but wish.